Friday, October 31, 2008

Blockbuster Anxiety?!!

Does anyone know of a website where I can find out which movies are inappropriate for me (a sensitive viewer) and separately which movies are inappropriate for small children?  Some videos are very misleading and the ratings don't tell you much in regards to how raunchy or dark the humor of a comedy is, and watching people puke their brains out is not my idea of funny.  Or whether an animated children's movie that appears to be cute actually contains violence or witchcraft!  My local blockbuster clerks are used to my many questions but they haven't seen every movie and sometimes I'm not sure whether a 19 year old has the perspective I am looking for.  If there is a website (perhaps a Christian website?) that makes things simple and easy I would love to know about it and add it to my "Bookmarks".  Does anyone else have movie anxiety or is it just me being weird?

6 comments:

Carrie said...

I believe focusonthefamily.com (or .org) has a link to reviews to all movies...really...they watch them all...and will tell you exactly what is in them.

Carrie said...

Just for the record, I am also anal (and so is Brooke-I'd say even more so than me. LOL) about this stuff...you're not alone.

Last night, my nieces wanted to watch the new Indiana Jones movie. My mom put it in for them (um, hello!) and then walked away...well, of course my BOYS are gonna wanna watch someone with a whip! Not to mention the legend of the skulls (hello, witchcraft!), and then my brother said, "There's nothing wrong with it, there's only about five cuss-words." Done and done. They ended up watching VeggieTales. And you know...my brother's kids got bored, but my boys...they were fixated and didn't move. My brother thinks they are sheltered. I think they are given things at age-appropriate times. I'm not against them watching those movies...when they are mature enough to handle them.

Lora said...

I agree with you Carrie. Sam still has not seen a movie, not even a Disney movie. He can't stay still long enough and I do not want him too either. Veggie Tales are great!

Jonna said...

A lot of Disney movies are traumatizing for a 3 year-old. Gotta love those garbage truck videos, huh Lora? We like Blues Clues & Hermie & Boz. My biggest Blockbuster anxiety is about myself though, and how raunchy the movies are getting. I am a major wimp... thanks for the help Carrie!

Jonna said...

http://www.pluggedinonline.com/index.cfm

This is the focus on the family site, and it's perfect!

Brooke said...

Thanks so much Jonna! This is what this blog is wonderful for! I've started getting pickier and pickier about what I decide to let enter my mind. And yes, am I as Carrie says, VERY sensitive when it comes to the kiddos. LOVE Boz, Little People, and a recent fan of Tigger and Pooh.